top of page

Organizing your clothes...

Did you know we only wear 20% of the clothes we own? What?! So what should we do with the remaining 80%?

Start by gathering ALL of your clothes into one area (every last piece!) and go through each item individually. Sometimes it is helpful to have a friend or family member hold up the item while you make a decision whether to keep, toss, or donate. There is a thing called tactile sympathy - we become [re]attached to something when we touch it, making it harder to let it go (even though we probably should)! So invite a helper to go through this process with you if you feel that would help move things along.

Have a “current” mindset. What I mean by that is get rid of anything that doesn’t make you feel good today. This would include items that are now faded, begun to pill, or are worn down. Take the texture into account, too. Is it itchy? Snags easily? Consider pieces that no longer fit — whether too big or too small — that you are holding on to “just in case.” Let those bring joy to someone else who can use them! We are fortunate to have seemingly unlimited options for clothing, so be confident that there will be replacements that feel good and fit well.

Sort clothes by season, and store out-of-season clothes out of the way - a top shelf, crawlspace, attic, etc. Finally, determine what hasn’t been worn in a while. A popular method in determining this is to turn your hangers backwards. When you wear it, turn the hanger around. Anything left backwards after a determined amount of time (three to six months is recommended) gets donated. This allotted time also gives you a chance to set money aside for some new threads.

Don't have that kind of disposable income? No worries! A cost-friendly option is to have a fashion-savvy friend come over and give new life to your clothes. They will be able to create “new” outfits with existing pieces, making you feel like you’ve just been on a shopping spree without spending a dime!

Also, take advantage of second-hand stores. Many pieces are name brand and in great condition. Some even have the original tags!

Vanity Fair correspondent Amy Collins says, “Opening your closet should be like arriving at a really good party where everyone you see is someone you like.”

Happy organizing, friends!

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page